Position name: Demand gen manager
Position type: Full time, permanent
Location: Halifax NS
Salary: Based on experience
Clockk is a Software-as-a-Service startup located in Halifax NS. Our product, an automated time tracking and recording tool, has been in market for a few months, and we’re ramping up our marketing efforts. It’s time to hire a full-time Demand gen manager.
Our ideal Demand gen manager has 3 years’ experience, is familiar with the pain of time sheets, and is excited to do the “grind” to get Clockk’s name out.
As Clockk’s Demand gen manager you’ll be an essential member of the team, responsible for executing customer acquisition initiatives including content strategy, email marketing, and influencer marketing efforts. In addition to optimizing current campaigns, you will have the freedom - and the expectation - to explore new channels and tactics to push Clockk’s growth initiatives to new levels, working closely with product, engineering, and sales to bring new growth ideas to life. And when those experiments are run, and the tests are complete, you’ll be able to present key metrics that show real learnings and help guide real decisions for the company. Although this will be a highly visible position within the company, you should be someone comfortable with working behind the scenes to get things done.
This position is in Halifax NS.
About the Role
- Lead the ideation and execution of new ideas to reach and engage our market, working closely with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, product managers, sales, customer success, and marketing.
- Gain a deep understanding of your ideal target market through continued audience research and customer interviews. Leverage this qualitative and quantitative data to build effective marketing strategies.
- Define and analyze key metrics that will define the success of both campaigns and new products that the campaigns are built around.
- Use your strong quantitative skills to fully understand the wins and losses, identify key levers, and be able to separate the signals from the noise, in order to best present findings to the team. These findings will help guide product roadmaps, and marketing and sales initiatives, and will be hugely important to both the business and our customers.
- Understand the ever-changing competitive landscape of related products and Clockk’s position within the landscape
- Build and manage a marketing team. As Clockk grows, so will the marketing team. You will be responsible for hiring, training, and managing new hires to the marketing team to help in executing your strategies.
- Drive multiple projects from strategy to execution in a fast-paced environment in an organized way.
Setting the scene
Being a marketer in an early-stage tech start-up is as equally challenging as it is exciting. Tech startups don’t have an established market, channels, or audience. This means that your role is to continuously learn about market opportunities and to develop and execute strategies to reach and engage ideal customers and marketing partners. As they say, the only constant is change.
Because there is no ‘playbook’ established for expanding your audience and getting leads, a tech startup marketer’s role is ambiguous. You’ll work closely with the founding team as you learn more about who your ideal users are. Your job is to engage more folks like them. Without an established brand or following and limited budget, a startup marketer needs to ‘hustle’ to get the product in the market.
As a startup marketer, you need to be very comfortable reaching out to folks who can help you reach your goals. This could be directly reaching out to potential users on social or it could be pitching interview topics to podcast hosts in hopes of getting the founder on their show. In addition to the ‘grind,’ you’re likely a ‘one-person show’ which means you’ll need to keep the social channels active and content flowing to simultaneously build Clockk’s brand and audience.
For the right person, someone who is very driven, an eager learner, comfortable with change, and always on the hunt for the next success, startup marketing is an exhilarating experience that challenges your ability to identify, reach, and engage the customers. Unlike working as a cog in a larger machine, the effort that you put directly correlates with the startup’s success.
- Managing and executing content marketing strategy including writing and editing content such as blogs, eBooks, case studies, and other media.
- Managing and executing our outbound lead gen process.
- Hiring and managing student interns who will support you in your day-to-day tasks.
- Managing and executing marketing automation strategy, including coordinating email marketing and lead nurturing campaigns using Mailchimp software.
- Communicating with clients to get user feedback, user stories, and case studies.
- Managing and tracking analytics for digital advertising campaigns.
- Executing trade show strategy including booking and preparing for events, and communicating with stakeholders.
- Website and other online platform management including updating content and search engine optimization.
- Creating and updating sales collateral including one-pagers and presentations.
- Maintaining brand alignment across all departments.
- Reporting on website and lead conversions using Google Analytics and our CRM.
- Reporting on, providing analysis, and implementing ongoing optimization of all marketing channels.
- Executing the company’s marketing plan, with a focus on high growth revenue and ROI for marketing costs.
- Approximately 3 years’ experience doing many aspects of the job described here.
- University degree or college diploma.
- Proven success in running social and digital ad campaigns.
- You have a track record of experimentation - executing on ideas that operate in unexplored territory (tell us about a time you figured out a way around a system, or managed to boost conversion rates by breaking that thing in that super un-intuitive way, or sliced and diced data in a way that helped you understand a new realm of possibilities)
- You are both analytical enough to speak to key acquisition-related metrics and how they tie into larger goals, and creative enough to think outside the box in order to accomplish them.
- You have a strong understanding of marketing best practices - and when and where it makes sense not to follow them)
- You’re a strong, data-driven individual, comfortable with analytics platforms like Google Analytics, able to identify areas of opportunity through data analysis.
- You have extensive experience in building out lead funnels and optimized landing pages.
- You have strong project management and problem-solving skills
- You enjoy a fast-paced, startup environment. You’re able to both work well individually, and as a collaborative team member.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills (self-directed and able to function at a high level without supervision)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Public Relations, Copywriting, and Influencer Marketing experience an asset.
- Ability to multitask, operate under pressure, and meet deadlines.
- Customer centric - Recognize and promote the importance of meeting customer needs, both inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to use good judgment when making decisions.
- Willingness and passion for learning. Can do attitude.
- Willingness to travel to trade shows as required.
- Applications are open until July 31, 2020.
- For fullest consideration, please submit all materials by June 30, 2020.
- Interviews will be conducted throughout the application period.
To learn more about this exciting opportunity, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this position, please send your c.v. and cover letter to email@example.com